Sunday, December 18, 2011

I am here! I will do it!

Dec. 18, 2011
Fourth Sunday of Advent
2 Sm 7:1-5, 8b-12, 14a, 16  . Rm 16,25-27
Lk 1,26-38
===


I was sitting quietly
doing house errands and busy with chores
When an unexpected visitor came
Who gave me shrills and thrills.

He is not a human; he is a supernatural!
I was surprised, and I don't know what to do.
Shall I take him out of my house?
Shall I hide somewhere safe?
(No, I can't hide; he's somebody else remember?)

But he perhaps saw the fright on my being
When he said, 'Kecharitomene!'
I''m full of grace of every kind,
I'm blessed amongst all women.

It's not fright anymore; it's much of curiosity
What is he talking about?
What is his visit for?
Would he take me to Heaven now?
(No; I can't leave, I remember Joseph...)

But he proceeded with his holy speech.
'Behold, you shall be with Son,
He will be glorious
You shall name him Jesus.

'Have no fear, Mary;
This will be, for you have God's favor
Elizabeth is also pregnant now,
with God there is nothing impossible!'

'How would this be,' I replied.
'Joseph loves me, he can't move me that early.
I do not know any man except him;
How can you say that I shall be pregnant?'

'The powers of the Highest will overshadow you;
You shall bear somebody holy.
Have no fear, Mary
Open yourself and God will take charge.'

I am puzzled. What if this is a hoax?
What if these are unreal?
What will happen to me and Joseph?
Would it end this early?

But I listen further, and I hear
no sound of fear or guilt;
I can hear the sound of angels
The majestic silence and calmness.

I resolved. There is nothing to fear.
This is God's will, I am his servant.
I am here, I shall never be alone.
There is no problem; I will do it!

The angel is waiting for my response;
I am sure of what I said:
'Ecce ancilla Domini,
Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum!'

The angel left me, again alone
but did he leave me lonely and confused?
NO! I am sure of what' to happen...
I will open myself - and my womb - to my God and creator.

Now, after nine months of bearing,
I feel the labor and the pain.
He is coming, he surely must be delivered!
Everything will be alright, of this I'm sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment